Thursday 20 September 2007

See Yourself In The Light Of God

Reading Passage Isa. 6:1-8


So I said: Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts. Isa. 6:5 NKJV


In Isaiah’s vision, the seraphim could not stand or even look at the holiness of the Lord of hosts. If such strong beings like the Seraphim could not stand before God’s holiness, how can I, a man of unclean lips? Isaiah was doubted whether he was alive. He was the prophet of the Lord, and always pronounced woe to others. In his eyes, he was a better person than the people around. But, he was always seeing himself in the light of others. Now, for the first time he is seeing himself in the light of God and he was discontent. We will know who we are only when we see ourselves in the light of God. When Peter saw himself in the light of the Lord, he cried: Depart from me, for I am a sinner, Lord! Luke 5:8


Even though Isaiah was a prophet of the Lord, he was ready to admit his sins. He confessed his sins. Woe to me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, he cried. (Isa. 6:5. NIV). His confession turned everything upside down. One of the mighty angels flew over to the altar and with a pair of tongs picked up a burning coal. He touched his lips with it and said, Now you are pronounced ‘not guilty’ because this coal has touched your lips. Your sins are all forgiven. (Isa 6:6-7 TLB)


If Isaiah were reluctant to confess his sins, he would never have been forgiven. But he could not afford not to do it. Many of us are content with ourselves. We fail to see God, or see ourselves in the light God. We never see our guilt. We are reluctant to confess our sins.


Therefore, we live an unforgiven life.


Prayer: Lord, let me see myself in your light. I confess my sins. Touch my mouth, eyes, hands and my soul with the Fire from the altar. Let my guilt be burned in that fire-Amen


For Further readings: Lev. 20:26; Luke 5:6-10

No comments: